Getting a refund for some specific items or services you acquired from Microsoft is actually possible. However, there are exceptions, so it is advisable that you go through the terms and conditions of any items, software, or hardware you may want to purchase.
Some digital goods may not qualify for a return. There have been several reports from users that Microsoft refuses to approve their request for a refund. In most cases, users may not have followed the terms and conditions of the agreement.
In this article, we will be guiding you on how you can cancel the subscription, or return an item or service and get a refund provided it is allowed under the arrangement.
Terms & Conditions for refunds on Microsoft Apps and Games
Apps & Games are digital goods that you can purchase and download onto your devices. After you have downloaded it successfully, there may be a need to request the return of money if the goods are not exactly what you need. Below points are to inform you about under what conditions you may get a refund after return:
- A refund will be processed if the total hours of game played is not up to 2 hours.
- Ensure that the privacy setting is set to Full to enable Microsoft to calculate the amount of time you have spent using the service. If it is limited, this may not be processed.
- Request for refunds must be made within 14 days of the purchase of digital games
- Downloaded content like videos are not allowed a refund.
- If you sign in with an account not associated with the app or game, you will not be able to get a refund. Still, you can reach out to the customer care for further help.
- Most digital goods do not qualify for a return unless there is a special clause on them.
- The purchased item must have been used at least once to get a refund. This is to ensure that you have really given it a go, but still not what you intend to get.
- Before requesting a refund, it is also important to ensure that the app or game has been available for purchase for more than 1 day.
- You can’t separately request a refund on a single item that is part of a bundle.
- The processing time for a return usually takes between 3 to 5 working days. However, you can check for the status on the Return Status Tab.
- To qualify for a refund, the app or game must be directly purchased from Microsoft.
How to track Microsoft Refund Status
Refunds may take a while before it reaches your payment account. This does not mean you should not attempt to know the current status of products purchased from Microsoft Store especially when it is taking so long than normal.
You can track the status online by navigating to the history page of your Xbox order and look for the specific item you applied for a refund for.
A new tab named “Refund Status” or “Return Status” should be positioned on the pages after initiation. Click on it to get the info.
How to Request for a Refund on Microsoft
If you have bought an Xbox, games, or apps recently and you need a refund which may be caused by one issue or the other, the below steps should help:
2. Look for the product and activate a return on your purchase.
How to return or exchange an item for a refund
2. Scroll through the list if you have several items and choose the item you want to get a refund for.
3. Click “Request a refund” and also go on to provide the reason why you want a refund. Ensure that the reason you give is genuine and substantial if possible.
4. Select “Next and click “Submit”.
How to cancel a Microsoft 365 or Xbox subscription
Some users have their account on automatic renewal, a safe way to make sure you are not disconnected upon the expiry period.
If you no longer want to use a service, you should cancel the service before you are charged to avoid going through the stress of initiating a refund that you may not get if you fail to meet the terms and conditions.
You can cancel any subscription on Microsoft by visiting the Microsoft subscription link page and select the link to the service you want to cancel. Once done, find the service you want to cancel, click “Manage” and select “Cancel”
If you want to upgrade instead of canceling, you will come across the option depending on what service you are currently subscribed to. Follow the online instructions to complete the process.